And you thought being a student was hard...

Before my time as a Communication professor at Ivy Tech, I spent many years doing corporate and organizational training. When I decided to become an instructor, I thought it couldn't be much different from what I did for companies. Boy, I couldn't be more wrong! Although I'd never tell my students, I learn more from them than they will ever learn from me!

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

What Was I Thinking?!

So, to make some additional holiday money, I agreed to pick up two second-8 weeks online courses, maxing out my overload. Each one has 75 students in it.

Dear. God.

It's the first week, and I am so swamped with answering emails about textbooks, computer and Blackboard issues, and all the administrative work that comes at the beginning of a new course, and I'm about ready to chuck my computer out the window!

This is on top of my 3 f2f classes and my other online classes. I've decided to use a faculty release day, a precious day away from all of the whiny students with their wants and their needs (okay, deep breath), to have everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING ready for the rest of the semester for all of my classes. Top on a couple of statewide course committee meetings and some in-house teacher learning symposiums, and I pretty much live at Ivy Tech. If I get behind on the blog, it's because I'm out of time. If I don't get behind, it's because I feel the need to vent or my head will explode with the next student complaint.

What was our drinking during class policy again? I need to dig out my faculty handbook...

No comments:

Post a Comment