And you thought being a student was hard...

Before my time as a Communication professor at Ivy Tech, I spent many years doing corporate and organizational training. When I decided to become an instructor, I thought it couldn't be much different from what I did for companies. Boy, I couldn't be more wrong! Although I'd never tell my students, I learn more from them than they will ever learn from me!

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

My Poor Nerves!

Okay, I admit it. I'm a worrier. My mom is the queen of all worriers, and I think I've picked up a few of her worrying traits. Case in point: this summer session.

We're three weeks into the semester. I'm prepping my f2f IC students for their group projects due at the end of the semester. I have been filming little snippets of info and posting it on youtube for my online Public Speaking students (which, by the way, has had a tremendous impact on the quality of the speeches) and I'm completely caught up on grading, sometimes even a little ahead by grading students' work as it comes in before it is due.

In other words, this semester is running smoothly, and it's driving me crazy!

I have a lot on my plate this summer, and so I spent an enormous amount of time ensuring I was prepared for it, purposefully scheduling a little time every day to work instead of large blocks of time several times a week. Besides the normal beginning of semester issues (late registration, no shows who aren't no shows, technical issues in the classroom, etc.), these first three weeks have been Zen-like and peaceful.

I can't take it any more.

I feel like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. I'm waiting for Blackboard to crash and delete everything. I'm waiting for a student to get uppidty and cause problems in a class. I'm waiting to fall so far behind in grading that I'm paying crazy money to baby-sitters for a week to get caught up. By this point every semester (whether an 8-week or 16-week course), things have begun to unravel. All of my careful planning has been shot all to hell. Real life would be getting in the way. Those experiences, however, have taught me to have back-up plans, hard copies of everything, and a good coffee maker for late-night grading jail sentences.

All of this hard work, and I think I've spooked myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment