And you thought being a student was hard...

Before my time as a Communication professor at Ivy Tech, I spent many years doing corporate and organizational training. When I decided to become an instructor, I thought it couldn't be much different from what I did for companies. Boy, I couldn't be more wrong! Although I'd never tell my students, I learn more from them than they will ever learn from me!

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

So Many Conferences, So Little Time

Since I feel as if I have my feet under me this semester, I have begun looking into associations and conferences within my field, communications. I joined the National Communication Association, and the local chapter, the Central States Communication Association.

Now, I'm going to admit to something that will probably make me seem like a big dork, but I love conventions. I have presented at quite a few, I've relaxed and just attended some, and every time, I've met fun people and learned something. I know a lot of my colleagues go to these because of the unwritten rule to be a part of these types of things in order to be promoted or achieve tenure. I've seen more people asleep at these things then in my most boring of classes. For me, though, it's an opportunity to meet people who know who Kenneth Burke is, or what the Social Exchange Theory means. I love my family and friends, and I wouldn't trade them in for anything, but this is a part of my life that they don't know much about - it's not their passion. I have some friends in the Comm department, sure, but we often teach classes at the same time, so we don't often get to see each other.

One things no one ever discusses is how lonely being a college instructor can be. Professors are very contradictory. We enjoy getting up in front of a group and lecturing, talking to dozens of people a day, constantly interacting. However, we also enjoy solitude. Closing that office door, bolting from the building as quickly as possible to avoid talking to another person. Maybe it's because we have to be "on" all the time, which takes a lot of energy, that we need that quiet, alone time just to recharge. Maybe I just work with a bunch of moody, antisocial people. ;)

Seriously, though, when you work in an office, you see people come and go all the time. You can stop and chat, catch up on the watercooler gossip, discuss last night's American Idol results, listen to an officemate's latest dating disaster, or anything else that reminds you that you are more than just an employee - you're a person, too. As a professor, you are a teacher, first and always, to your students. Even if you offered, most wouldn't want to know you on a personal level. It blurs the lines.

To get back to the point of my post, it is for all of these reasons that I really like and really look forward to conferences. This year, I will be attending the regional conference in Cincinnatti in April and the national convention in San Fransisco in November. I did not submit any papers or proposals for presentations, as this is my first time attending both of these conventions. Once I know what they expect, I will put something in for next year.

This year, though, I'm looking forward to racking up the airline miles and just enjoying my time.

3 comments:

  1. I love conferences too but only when I'm presenting and don't have to pay for them :-) I'm submitting a proposal in a few weeks for a conference in Savannah in September. Road trip! YAY!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think conferences speak to that nerdy, uncool, internally motivated side of us. (yes, I too love a good conference/seminar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't mind paying for local conferences if I'm not presenting. It gets me out of the house and away from the kiddos for a couple of days. :) Worth every penny when you have a 2- and 5-year-old!

    ReplyDelete