And you thought being a student was hard...

Before my time as a Communication professor at Ivy Tech, I spent many years doing corporate and organizational training. When I decided to become an instructor, I thought it couldn't be much different from what I did for companies. Boy, I couldn't be more wrong! Although I'd never tell my students, I learn more from them than they will ever learn from me!

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Fall 2009, That's a Wrap!

Thank GOD this semester is over. Final grades are in, so I can wash my hands of the whole thing. I've been teaching at Ivy Tech for almost two years, and seriously, this was the worst semester by far.

On the good side, many of my f2f students blew me away with their work. I had higher than normal As and Bs this semster. I'm pretty tough, and I really don't bend very often in my rules (including NEVER accepting late work unless it is an extreme situation or my mistake), so I usually have an almost perfect bell curve. My two new classes did really well. So impressed with their work all semester long.

On the bad side, my online classes were rougher than normal. The 16 week classes did good, and I managed not to get too far behind in them. My 8 week classes, though, were a nightmare from beginning to end. I spent so much time fixing problems, dealing with issue after issue, technical and otherwise, then desperately trying to catch up on grading, I felt like I never got my feet under me. Those two classes had me questioning my sanity in choosing this for a living.

As a post script, after my last email to my problem student concerning turning in all of her work with no penalty so long as it was by the last day, which was two days ago, I have not heard hide nor hair from her. My gamble paid off. I just wish it hadn't been necessary to do.

Anyway, two weeks of brain dead relaxation to re-group for next semester. Happy Kwanza, Merry Christmas, and Happy Chaunaka. In other words, happy holidays, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment