And you thought being a student was hard...

Before my time as a Communication professor at Ivy Tech, I spent many years doing corporate and organizational training. When I decided to become an instructor, I thought it couldn't be much different from what I did for companies. Boy, I couldn't be more wrong! Although I'd never tell my students, I learn more from them than they will ever learn from me!

Monday, November 23, 2009

No Good Deed, Part 2

I heard back ffrom my disgruntled student. I will give her credit for TRYING to not be hateful and bitchy, but her email was so full of excuses, blame, and more disrespectful language, that, really, we weren't much better off than we were before.

Now it appears her father has died. She even sent me the obituary for proof. She said in her letter that she would be out of town for a few days and would not be checking her email until she got back, because I stressed her out too much. Okay, I'm willing to take one across the chin for someone who is grieving (although from what she said in the letter, she made it sound as if she and her dad weren't very close, but at this point, I don't know what to believe with this girl), but when she informs me that, when she gets back, she will show proof that she turned in her assignments and I WILL give her an A for all of them and I WILL appologize for causing her so much stress, my hand actually trembled over the "F" key. Do you think she would notice if I failed her four weeks in to class? Nah.

Respecting her wishes, I did not reply back (even though in the previous email, she informed me that responding to a student's email with 12 hours at the most was not an unreasonable demand). Two days after I received her email, she posted on the Cyber Cafe discussion board (a discussion board where the students could talk about non-class things in an effort to get to know each other, mostly about who should win the next American Idol, I've noticed), she asked if anyone else was having problems with "our crap instructor," and then proceeded to bad mouth me for a good two paragraphs.

You know, I didn't have high blood pressure before this class...

No comments:

Post a Comment