And you thought being a student was hard...

Before my time as a Communication professor at Ivy Tech, I spent many years doing corporate and organizational training. When I decided to become an instructor, I thought it couldn't be much different from what I did for companies. Boy, I couldn't be more wrong! Although I'd never tell my students, I learn more from them than they will ever learn from me!

Friday, September 25, 2009

Media and Communication

For the first time at the Valpo campus, we are offering Comm 201 - Media and Culture. Not to be immodest, but we got it because I ranted and raved to the right people. (That's also how we got Comm 202 - Small Group Communication, but that's another blog!) It's a small class, only 10 students, but we are having a great time!

I don't know if it's because it is a small class or that it's a 200 level course, but these students are so much more engaged in discussion than any of my other classes. There is no holding back in this class! Twice already this semester I have had to postpone the majority of the lecture because we got into a really great discussion on one of the points of the chapter. I know there are some instructors out there, who shall remain nameless, who would twitch at the thought of getting off schedule, but to me, the process of learning is so much more important than the topics being learned. I know we'll cover the big points of the material eventually. I can always cut out a less important chapter if I need to. What they are passionate about they are more likely to retain. So what if we spend an extra day on TV and skip the chapter on radio? Who really listens to radio any more anyway?

One of the great things about this class is the fact that I can show them TV shows, movies, play music, etc., and it's all really relevant. It's all media! I'm not saying I look forward to not lecturing, although it's nice to have a break every once in a while, but to share some of my favorite things with other passionate people is so much fun. I love debating the First Amendment using examples from Chris Rock, Carlos Mencia, and Lewis Black. Laughter has proven to raise endorphins, and if we're all feeling good, we're all more likely to talk and learn.

Not a bad combination!

No comments:

Post a Comment